#67 File Descriptors and Scopes
Update on what happened across the GNOME project in the week from October 21 to October 28.
Core Apps and Libraries
The low-level core library that forms the basis for projects such as GTK and GNOME.
Philip Withnall announces
Simon McVittie has just added a
g_autofdattribute to GLib, which you can use to automatically close FDs when exiting a scope, just like
Third Party Projects
An easy-to-use music tag (metadata) editor.
Tagger is now at V2022.10.5! This release added support for new audio file types. Here’s the changelog:
- Added support for oga files
- Added support for m4a files
Girens for Plex
Girens is a Plex Gtk client for playing movies, TV shows and music from your Plex library.
Girens 2.0.0 is released. This is the biggest update of Girens since the first release. In this release the following things are done:
- Migrated from GTK 3 to GTK 4
- Migrated from Libhandy to Libadwaita
- Migrated to Blueprint for ui files
- Improved lists for large libraries (thanks to the new Gtk4 lists)
- Redesigned the album/artist view
- Redesigned the show view
- Added French and Norwegian translations
- Improved the windowed view
- A lot of bug fixes
Also this week I added support for weblate translation. If someone want’s to help with translating, it is now a lot easier.
Login Manager Settings
A settings app for the login manager GDM.
Mazhar Hussain reports
Login Manager Settings v2.beta.0 has been released.
- Power settings
- Import/export to file
- Enlarge welcome message shown on login
- “Apply Current Display Settings” feature not working on Ubuntu and similar systems
- Some text showing up untranslated even if translation existed (fix by Sabri Ünal)
- Some typos (fix by Kian-Meng Ang)
The app is now adaptive
- Main window is adaptive
- Pop-up dialogs are adaptive
App uses the new “About” window
Terminal output is colored now
For full release notes visit https://github.com/realmazharhussain/gdm-settings/releases/tag/v2.beta.0.
A unofficial Signal GTK client.
Flare 0.5.3 was released. Compared to the last TWIG-update, Flare gained minor new features as pasting attachments into the input box, opening attachments in the default program and notifications for incoming calls . In 0.5.3 an additional critical bug has been fixed that rendered the application useless since 26. Oct 2022 because Signal updated their certificates. I urge everyone to update such that Flare works again. I am sorry for any inconveniences that happened due to this incident and hope we can learn from it such that it does not happen again.
That’s all for this week!
See you next week, and be sure to stop by #thisweek:gnome.org with updates on your own projects!