#44 Five Across
Update on what happened across the GNOME project in the week from May 13 to May 20.
Lets you install and update applications and system extensions.
Philip Withnall announces
gnome-software gained some nice polish from Milan Crha to format file size numbers and units in slightly different font sizes, to highlight the number: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/merge_requests/1319
Sophie Herold reports
This week, Warp joined GNOME Circle. Warp allows file transfers from one device to another, just by sharing a code. Congratulations!
Simple backups based on borg.
Sophie Herold says
Pika Backup version 0.4 has been released. This release wraps up a year of development work and brings major features like scheduled backups, rule-based removal of older archives, and an updated interface using GTK 4 and Libadwaita.
A simple Crossword player and Editor.
I’ve released Crosswords 0.3.0. This is the first version of this game that’s available for download from flathub. New in this release:
- .puz file format support
- Dark mode / Light mode support
- Hint button that suggests words that fit a slot
- External puzzle plugins support, including assorted newspaper downloaders
More information is available at the release announcement
A Telegram client optimized for the GNOME desktop.
Marco Melorio reports
Telegrand development has seen quite a number of improvements since the last report. The app is finally shaping up quite well and the light for a first release seems closer than ever! These are the highlights of some of the work that happened since the last report:
- Implemented user actions reports (e.g. users typing or sending photos) by Marcus Behrendt
- Implemented message event types (e.g. user joining a group) by Carlod
- Implemented message photo sending
- Improved the message entry look
- Added phone country code selection in the login process by Marcus Behrendt
- Added more ways to authenticate (e.g. via SMS, call or flash call) by Marcus Behrendt
- Hide the message entry when not needed (e.g. while in a channel) by Carlod
- Added ability to delete messages
- Improved chat history scrolling (now default to the bottom)
- Added ability to pin/unpin chats by Marcus Behrendt
- Ability to open the relative chat by clicking a notification
A Gemini client
I’ve released Geopard v1.1.0, the new version of my gemini client. This release brings:
- Improved design, with completely new pages for downloads, input requests, external links, errors
- Added more spacing between links to make them easier to click on small screens
- Added zoom functionality, via shortcuts or directly from the popover menu
- Streaming button (alpha) for some audio/video file types
From the last announcement, I’ve also fixed various issues reported on github. Mainly, there was an issue with the handling of downloads, which is now fixed.
Plays music, and nothing else.
Emmanuele Bassi says
New Amberol release, with lots of papercut fixes, improvement in the UI responsiveness when loading large directories, and accessibility fixes for both the UI and key navigation.
See you next week, and be sure to stop by #thisweek:gnome.org with updates on your own projects!